Pumpkin Better Than… Cake

  Pumpkin Poke Cake

By: Ashton from Something Swanky

You must be logged in to add a private note. Login
</section/mybox/action/login> | Register
</section/mybox/action/login#registerForm>

        My Notes

        My Notes

ONLY YOU see your private notes.

Jello poke cake recipes are more exciting than regular cakes. You poke
holes on the top and then pour a pudding mixture over it, so it seeps
into the holes. This Pumpkin Poke Cake is a spin on jello poke cakes.
Instead of pudding, sweetened condensed milk is poured into the holy
cake, which is made from yellow cake mix and pumpkin puree. As if that
wasn't good enough, the cake is topped with Cool Whip, Heath bits, and
caramel. It really is a perfect fall treat.

Cooking Time:30 min

Ingredients

  * 1 box yellow cake mix
  * 1 small can pumpkin puree
  * 1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  * 1 - 8 oz. tub cool whip
  * 1/2 bag Heath Bits
  * Caramel Sundae Sauce

Instructions

 1. Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350º
    according to the directions for a 9x13 cake on the cake mix box.
 2. Let cool for about 10 minutes after baking. Using the bottom of a
    wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake (this post

<%20http://thesepiapuppy.blogspot.com/2012/10/pumpkin-better-than-cake-success.html>
    from a friend has great step by step photos for this part).
 3. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake, filling the holes.
    Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
 4. Spread the cool whip over top of cake. Sprinkle on the heath bits,
    and drizzle caramel over top (just to your liking). Refrigerate for
    3-4 hours, or overnight (best).

Notes

DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. YOU MUST USE PUMPKIN PUREE IF YOU WANT
THE CAKE TO BAKE CORRECTLY. The cake mix + pumpkin puree version of
pumpkin cake may not be for everyone. I like it just fine, especially
when it's soaked in SCM and caramel. But if you're not sure about it,
feel free to substitute your own pumpkin cake recipe as the cake base.
DO NOT mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, and the other ingredients on
the back of the cake mix box!!!! ONLY mix the cake mix and the pumpkin
puree. You must let the sweetened condensed milk soak in all the way.
Letting it sit overnight will yield best results. Use the bottom of a
wooden mixing spoon to poke the holes in the cake-- it's just the right
size.

***Update on this recipe: */From the feedback I’m getting, a lot of
people have tried this recipe with varied results. Many people have
really liked it (including a some of my personal acquaintances), but
there has definitely been some negative feedback. Fortunately, I’ve been
able to pretty easily figure out what has gone wrong in most of the
negative experiences. And based off of those comments, I’ve put together
a short list of tips you may want to run through before making this cake:/

 1. *DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. YOU MUST USE PUMPKIN PUREE IF YOU
    WANT THE CAKE TO BAKE CORRECTLY.*
 2. The cake mix + pumpkin puree version of pumpkin cake may not be for
    everyone. I like it just fine, especially when it’s soaked in SCM
    and caramel. But if you’re not sure about it, feel free to
    substitute your own pumpkin cake recipe as the cake base.
 3. *DO NOT* mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, /and the other
    ingredients on the back of the cake mix box!!!!/ *ONLY* mix the cake
    mix and the pumpkin puree.
 4. You must let the sweetened condensed milk soak in /all the way/.
    Letting it sit overnight will yield best results.
 5. Use the bottom of a wooden mixing spoon to poke the holes in the
    cake– it’s just the right size.

from
http://www.allfreecasserolerecipes.com/Dessert-Casserole-Recipes/Pumpkin-Poke-Cake/

--