Hi Jonathan,

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 12:31 , Jonathan Morton <chromati...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Mar, 2016, at 11:20, moeller0 <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> it might be more future-proof to just use IFBs from the get-go
>
> For this particular use-case, it seems to be more complicated to use IFB than
> IMQ, largely because there is no iptables rule to divert packets through an
> IFB device, and unlike iptables, the CBQ filter mechanism doesn’t directly
> support negative matches of any kind.

        As I just wrote, can’t we completely avoid the IMQ/IFB here and use
dual egress shaping instead (once on the pppoe device and once on the interface
connected to the switch, which effectively should shape both directions)?

> However, I think this would work - though it’s completely untested:
>
> ip link set ifb0 up
>
> tc qdisc replace dev ppp0 root handle 1: cake pppoe-vcmux bandwidth
> $FULL_RATE triple-isolate

        I wonder how you came up with pppoe-vcmux, I have not seen any
information about the link technology in Allan’s post. As far as I know a
number of (mislead) ISPs use PPPoE even on fiber links. @Allan, what is the
link technology you use?

> tc qdisc replace dev imq0 root handle 2: cake raw bandwidth $NONCACHE_RATE
> flows

        I believe this might work as egress on the interface facing the
L2-switch…

> tc filter replace dev ppp0 protocol ip prio 1 handle 11 u32 match ip src
> $CACHE_IP/32
>
> tc filter replace dev ppp0 protocol ip prio 2 handle 12 u32 action mirred
> egress redirect dev ifb0
>
> The logic of the above is that a positive match is made on the cache traffic,
> but no action is taken.  This terminates filter processing for that traffic.
> The remaining traffic is redirected unconditionally to the IFB device by the
> second filter rule.
>
> One thing I’m not entirely certain of is whether traffic that has been
> through an IFB device is then requeued in the normal way on the original
> device.

        It should, but only on egress…

> I’d appreciate feedback on whether this system does in fact work.
>
>> I would respectfully recommend to avoid the symbolic overhead parameters
>
> Even if I change their underlying behaviour in the future, it’ll be in a way
> that retains backwards compatibility with all the examples I’ve given for the
> current scheme.  I mostly wanted to raise awareness that the overhead
> compensation system exists for use on encapsulated links.

        All fair points!

> - Jonathan Morton

Best Regards
        Sebastian