> On 13 Dec, 2019, at 3:43 pm, Thibaut <ha...@slashdirt.org> wrote:
>
> I've been using CAKE on my DSL-connected Linux router for the last few years,
> and it worked well until very recently. Two things happened:
>
> 1) My ISP (French "Free") switched my DSLAM to native IPv6, which for the
> time being means that I had to revert to using their set-top-box (Freebox)
> instead of the VDSL2 model I was using in bridge mode until then (CAKE in
> "bridged-ptm ether-vlan" mode)
> 2) I upgraded my router from 3.16 (Devuan Jessie) to 4.9 (Devuan ASCII)
>
> Since then, no matter which setup I use, I cannot get CAKE to work as
> intended. Specifically, any long-standing best effort stream (such as a
> remote rsync) will be throttled to a near grinding halt even though there is
> no other significant traffic going on. Some random bursts can be seen (with
> iftop) but nothing ever gets close to half the maximum bandwidth. This is
> notably affecting the OpenWRT buildbots I'm hosting on this link.

Old kernels, including 4.9 series, tend to be more problematic than the latest
ones.  If you can, I would recommend updating to a 5.x series kernel, in which
Cake is an upstream feature.  I won't presume to guess how best to achieve that
with your distro.

The good news is that Free.fr is among the relatively few ISPs who have
actively tackled bufferbloat themselves.  As a workaround while you sort this
out, you should get reasonable performance just from using the Freebox directly.

 - Jonathan Morton