recently there was a thread on another bufferbloat list about a very
interesting ISP approach using massively hashed tc filters + fq_codel
or cake that has code in github. I cannot for the life of me remember
the name of the thread or the github right.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:47 PM Jonathan Morton <chromati...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 4 Mar, 2021, at 3:54 am, Thomas Croghan <tcrog...@lostcreek.tech> wrote:
> >
> > So, a beta of Mikrotik's RouterOS was released some time ago which finally
> > has Cake built into it.
> >
> > In testing everything seems to be working, I just am coming up with some
> > questions that I haven't been able to answer.
> >
> > Should there be any special considerations when Cake is being used in a
> > setting where it's by far the most significant limiting factor to a
> > connection? For example: <internet> --10 Gbps Fiber -- <ISP Router> --10
> > Gbps Fiber -- [ISP Switch] -- 1 Gbps Fiber -- <500 Mbps Customer>
> > In this situation very frequently the "<ISP Router>" could be running Cake
> > and do the bandwidth limiting of the customer down to 1/2 (or even less) of
> > the physical connectivity. A lot of the conversations here revolve around
> > Cake being set up just below the Bandwidth limits of the ISP, but that's
> > not really going to be the case in a lot of the ISP world.
>
> There shouldn't be any problems with that.  Indeed, Cake is *best* used as
> the bottleneck inducer with effectively unlimited inbound bandwidth, as is
> typically the case when debloating a customer's upstream link at the CPE.  In
> my own setup, I currently have GigE LAN feeding into a 2Mbps Cake instance in
> that direction, to deal with a decidedly variable LTE last-mile; this is good
> enough to permit reliable videoconferencing.
>
> All you should ned to do here is to filter each subscriber's traffic into a
> separate Cake instance, configured to the appropriate rate, and ensure that
> the underlying hardware has enough throughput to keep up.
>
> > Another question would be based on the above:
> >
> > How well does Cake do with stacking instances? In some cases our above
> > example could look more like this: <Internet> -- [Some sort of limitation
> > to 100 Mbps] -- <ISP Router> -- 1 Gbps connection- <25 Mbps Customer X 10>
> >
> > In this situation, would it be helpful to Cake to have a "Parent Queue"
> > that limits the total throughput of all customer traffic to 99-100 Mbps
> > then "Child Queues" that respectively limit customers to their 25 Mbps? Or
> > would it be better to just setup each customer Queue at their limit and let
> > Cake handle the times when the oversubscription has reared it's ugly head?
>
> Cake is not specifically designed to handle this case.  It is designed around
> the assumption that there is one bottleneck link to manage, though there may
> be several hosts who have equal rights to use as much of it as is available.
> Ideally you would put one Cake or fq_codel instance immediately upstream of
> every link that may become saturated; in practice you might not have access
> to do so.
>
> With that said, for the above topology you could use an ingress Cake instance
> to manage the backhaul bottleneck (using the "dual-dsthost" mode to
> more-or-less fairly share this bandwidth between subscribers), then a
> [...]

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

d...@taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729