On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Bob McMahon via Make-wifi-fast
<make-wifi-f...@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Intel has a good analogous video on this with their CPU video here going over
> branches and failed predictions. And to Stuart's point, the longer pipelines
> make the forks worse in the amount of in-process bytes that need to be thrown
> away. Interactivity, in my opinion, suggests shrinking the pipeline because,
> with networks, there is no quick way to throw away stale data rather every
> forwarding device continues forward with invalid data. That's bad for the
> network too, spending resources on something that's no longer valid. We in
> the test & measurement community never measure this.

One of my all time favorite demos was of stuart's remote desktop
scenario, where he moved the mouse and the window moved with it.

> [...]
>
> Bob
>
> FYI, iperf 2 supports TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT for those interested.
>
> --tcp-write-prefetch n[kmKM]
> Set TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT on the socket and use event based writes per select()
> on the socket.
>

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:32 AM Stuart Cheshire via Make-wifi-fast
> <make-wifi-f...@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Oct 2022, at 02:36, Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Stuart,
>> >
>> > [SM] That seems to be somewhat optimistic. We have been there before,
>> > short of mandating actually-working oracle schedulers on all end-points,
>> > intermediate hops will see queues some more and some less transient. So we
>> > can strive to minimize queue build-up sure, but can not avoid queues and
>> > long queues completely so we need methods to deal with them gracefully.
>> > Also not many applications are actually helped all that much by letting
>> > information get stale in their own buffers as compared to an on-path
>> > queue. Think an on-line reaction-time gated game, the need is to
>> > distribute current world state to all participating clients ASAP.
>>
>> I’m afraid you are wrong about this. If an on-line game wants low delay, the
>> only answer is for it to avoid generating position updates faster than the
>> network carry them. One packet giving the current game player position is
>> better than a backlog of ten previous stale ones waiting to go out. Sending
>> packets faster than the network can carry them does not get them to the
>> destination faster; it gets them there slower. The same applies to frames in
>> a screen sharing application. Sending the current state of the screen *now*
>> is better than having a backlog of ten previous stale frames sitting in
>> buffers somewhere on their way to the destination. Stale data is not
>> inevitable. Applications don’t need to have stale data if they avoid
>> generating stale data in the first place.
>>
>> Please watch this video, which explains it better than I can in a written
>> email:
>>
>> <https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/719/?time=892>
>>
>> Stuart Cheshire

> This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
> with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the
> use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
> information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
> laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not
> the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to
> the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying,
> distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail
> is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return
> the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC