On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:23, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:

> >> - Still not completely clear if I can reship the weinre blob with it's
> >> WebKit-y bits and such from apache; I have some homework to do there.
>  There
> >> will always be a lingering issue of LGPL code making it's way into the
> >> WebKit Web Inspector code I reship (today it's all BSD), which kinda
> throws
> >> a wrench into the gears.
> >
> > I guess we should be able to work out how to handle that.
>
> This is a really particular point of interest that seems to be
> discussed a bit on the legal-discuss mailing list archives. Should
> kick up a conversation there to see what the larger Apache community
> thinks. (I certainly can see many interpretations there.)

I spoke with Sam Ruby about this the last time we chatted; I think it's
do-able, I just need to read up on the requirements.  Let me do that first
(homework) before starting a discussion.

As I alluded to, even if I could, today, ship the Web Inspector source from
WebKit, it would only be because all that code is BSD today.  Tomorrow,
someone could slip some LGPL in there (WebKit allows both BSD and LGPL
code), and then things get trickier.  Meaning, I need to allow for the fact
that we may not be able to ship the usable weinre blob directly out of
Apache, some day.  But for as long as I can, I'd like to make one available
at Apache.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org