On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>wrote:

> * Is helpful if source package contains a single top-level directory
> under which everything else is placed. That way when unpacking the
> sources in a busy directory you won't end up with a mess. If it's not
> too much trouble, I suggest to add a "cordova-1.7.0" top level
> directory to the cordova-1.7.0-src.zip package.

Here's what I've settled on for weinre, for now.  Archives organized like
this on the server:

    http://people.apache.org/~pmuellr/weinre/builds/

That is, a "builds" directory, with a subdirectory per "version", and then
all the things for that version in the version directory.

When you unpack one of the archives, say <xyz>.zip, it unpacks to an <xyz>
directory in the same dir as the .zip.

This ends up yielding rediculously long names, given "pre-release" status
and incubator-itis, like

     apache-cordova-weinre-2.0.0-pre-H0WVARLU-incubating-bin.tar.gz

But I'm happy with it.  In theory, an "official release" would look more
like this, assuming post-incubator-graduation:

     apache-cordova-weinre-3.0.0-bin.tar.gz

> (*) Unless you've already encountered, Release Audit Tool (RAT) is a
> simple program developed at http://incubator.apache.org/rat/ to help
> audit Apache releases. To use it, download the binaries and run "java
> -jar apache-rat-0.8.jar /path/to/cordova/sources".

Nice having a tool like this.  But I can't figure out the exclude options
work.  I tried various flavors of this:

    rat --dir . \
       --exclude "*weinre.build/cached/*" \
       --exclude "*weinre.build/out/*" \
       --exclude "*weinre.build/tmp/*" \
       --exclude "*weinre.build/vendor/*" \
       --exclude "*weinre.server/node_modules/*" \
       --exclude "*weinre.server/web/*"

But it didn't seem to exclude those directories, or at least not
recursively.  And I can't find any doc for rat, other than the command-line
help, which is not helpful.

Good news: the only hits for weinre, after manually deleting what I didn't
want scanned, were .gitignore and .npmignore files, which I'm hoping are
safe to "exclude" as well.  :-)

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org