Well, here's the proposal again.

1. We ship a package and it is titled phonegap-1.8.x.zip
2. Inside that package we have files. Those files are explicitly
*-1.8.*.* (cordova-js would need a tag for 1.8.1 for projects that use
it..)
3. We update the download with PATCH updates as they come on a
platform by platform basis (as needed).

This could get messy given the shared dependency of cordova-js.