My original thought is that the cordova-cli tool should be able to create a
plugin with a given name. The created plugin will also be the echo example,
since it sets up all scaffolding required to start implementing your own
plugin. When the echo plugin is available under it's own repository, it
should be easy for the CLI tool to consume this plugin.

Michael