I think the near-term looks fine.  What I consider most important on
the list are the plug-in metafiles and config files.  A close second
would be the plug-in management tools that will consume/produce these
files.  With that said, we probably won't be using the command line
tools, so having the metafiles well documented will be important.

As for adding new APIs, I would only caution against implementing
early specs that change frequently - lessons learned from the
contacts, device and other APIs.   One thing to consider is that the
more plug-ins we ship with Cordova, the more we have to maintain &
test for each release... and that the goal should be to equally
support functionality across the major platforms for each first-class
plug-in.