Cynthia spoke about the necessity of demonstrating contra corners, a figure that
she had thought most would know well.

As Lisa pointed out, there are dance series where the older dances are called
regularly and dancers there will be familiar with figures such as contra
corners. (I'd say you're more likely to find these older dances included in the
repertoire of smaller dances in rural New England than you are at most of the
zesty urban dances.) The figure isn't called as much these days because it
favors the ones-- the "active" couples, in the now out-of-favor parlance. The
contemporary passion for everyone-moving, equal-activity choreography means that
figures such as contra corners simply aren't used as much, unless it's a dance
such as Alternating Corners where the ones and twos take turns doing contra
corners.

There's an example I like to use to demonstrate these changes. In the early to
mid-1980s, when the "hey for four" started to appear with increasing frequency
in contra choreography, an import from English country dancing, it frequently
required lengthy, step-by-step instruction, often supplemented with a
demonstration by a carefully-selected group of dancers. At that same time, when
an evening's program included traditional contras--many of which are duple
proper and end with the generic down the center and return, cast off, right and
left over and back--people had no trouble with those closing figures.

Today, the situation is nearly reversed--callers can move swiftly through a hey
for four, knowing that most dancers on the floor will be familiar with the
figure; it's a figure that you couild expect to encounter in a contra medley at
NEFFA, for example, where there's no instruction. The newcomers will be assisted
by those old hands (old feet?), who can indicate with an exaggerated shoulder
the correct passing side and who can keep everyone moving. Call a duple proper
dance, though, and the caller's troubles multiply. First of all, there are all
those dancers who have already taken hands four and crossed over... they need to
be brough back onto the correct side. And then doing the same sex right and left
through can cause all manner of problems, so a careful, step-by-step instruction
follows, often with a demonstration. The same applies, even more so, with triple
minors, which of course were the norm at one time in our dancing past. People
like what they know, and if they haven't been exposed to different figures and
different formations, they'll initially resist the unfamiliar. But take a group
of dancers who only dance contras regularly and get them through a grand square
successfully, let alone something like a teacup chain, and you can feel the
excitement in the room. But I digress...

Cynthia also also raised the question of whether dancers squat or sit down when
there's a demonstration, and Chris made several good suggestions about this.
Dancers simply have grown accustomed to not having a demonstration, or are less
tolerant of a demo than they might have been. I recall the story of Ted Sannella
calling in Washington, DC, some years ago. He went out onto the floor to
demonstrate the timing he wanted to see for a right and left through, and one of
the dancers was heard grumbling something to the effect of "Who is this old man,
who thinks he has the right to show us something?" The dance's organizer swiftly
replied, "That's Ted Sannella, and if he thinks people here need to work on that
figure, then they do!"

Ted was fond of jumping onto the floor once or twice in an evening-- never more
than that, in my recollection-- to illustrate style points. I don't think that
this practice is as common these days, at least in the groups where I dance.

One delightful exception for me came last fall when I was calling in Prague.
There, in part because of the language barrier, I found it far more efficient to
demonstrate unusual figures than to try to explain with words what I wanted.
Yes, they'd be able to follow me, with the assistance of a translator, but the
one picture/thousand words maxim applied. As soon as I took two steps toward the
dance floor from the mic, the entire room sat down or squatted, without my
needing even to make a request. I'd show the figure with the assistance of a few
couples, and then everyone would dance it.

I consciously modeled my calling on Ted's model, so I'm comfortable going out
onto the floor. I do think that this action is a good way of making style points
or demonstrating a particularly complex move. Perhaps if more of us did this at
opportune moments, dancers would in time learn to get out of the sightlines of
their neighbors.

One final point. Chris ended his post with the comment that "we as callers need
to model the good behavior from the floor as dancers." Well said! If we're on
the dance floor when another caller comes out to demo something, I think that we
have an obligation immediately to squat down ourselves, and trust that others
will follow our lead.

David Millstone