On squares, I agree that if the square is well prepared and up tempo and doesn't take long to run through you will get the positive reviews. But even then, when you only do one shortish square and it involves "losing your partner", people grouse. I saw this at Greenfield last weekend, caller remaining nameless. So, at least around here, the seasoned contra dancers will go along with one set (per evening) of swing-heavey, partner-keeping squares. Nell ----- Original Message ----- From: <jerom...@bellsouth.net>
To: <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: [Callers] Calling New England Squares

David Millstone wrote:

I'd suggest
that any caller interested in investigating breaks would do well to purchase a copy of Ted Sannella's "Calling Traditional New England Squares," which is full of general comments and theory, scores of breaks that Ted used, and a CD of Ted callign squares. The cuts on the CD were chosen in part to illustrate many different breaks. Two other items that may be helpful are Tom Hinds's recent
publication with a similar title, "Calling New England Squares" and Tom's
earlier "Give Me a Break!" All of these materials are available from the sales office at Country Dance and Song Society, http://www.cdss.org/sales/index.html

I would like to throw in my own endorsement for Tom Hinds' "Calling New England Squares" and "Give Me a Break!" I have found both to be very fine resources as I seek to call fun and satisfying squares. I've been reading and rereading these as I've been traveling lately.

One of the wisest nuggets is the lesson that squares I find fun to dance may not be suitable for me to call because callers are generally more experienced dancers. So Tom offers several ways to analyze squares for suitability to a particular crowd.

I know that some contra dancers think squares aren't fun. It's my judgement that when callers are very well prepared and the figures are well-matched to the crowd's ability, I don't hear from those "squares aren't fun" dancers. In fact, I even hear "that was a fun square!" It's especially satisfying to get a smile from a grump.

Contrawise, if I am not well prepared on a square, I will hear it.

Jerome Grisanti