Hi Jerome,

  I believe I've done this same non-progression call by not having the dancers
turn to a new group of four for the second petronella spin. And Cary Ravitz was
in the band at the time -- how embarrassing.

  KF>> yes, that's one part to make it not progress: the new group of four
(just like "Maliza's Magical Mystery Motion" also by Cary Ravitz)......  Then,
if you don't tell the Gents to Al Left 1.5x with THE NEXT gent on the LEFT,
they will stay in their own private party minor set!  I think that's how it
goes, I don't have the card in front of me...

  KF>> oh wow! you topped me: Cary Ravitz was in the band! Thanks for sharing!
There were four other dance organizer's at that dance (one in the band) and it
was my very first really major blunder....  again, everyone was laughing
hysterically, and then half the line got it and progressed, but the other half
the line took advantage of the situation and just started progressing with
anybody they could find up or down the line, and having a field day with it....
I joked that it almost became a mixer instead..!  Needless to say, I took the
band out early on that one..... : )

  Gene Hubert's contra called The Odd Combination. Very odd

  KF>> Thanks, I looked up the dance.  I did not have this one yet...:

  The Odd Combination
  Duple Improper Contra, by Gene Hubert, NC

A1  (8) Neighbor Swing
        (8) Right and Left Thru (w/N)

A2   (6) Circle Right 3/4x
        (10) Partner Swing

  B1  (6) Down the Hall, Line of 4;  (2) Turn as Cpls
        (8) Return

  B2  (8) Ladies Chain
        (8) Left Hand Star 1x

A simple dance.  The unusual pattern (short swing and circle right) works to
the advantage of beginners.  I think I wrote this in late '95 or early '96.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990504072442/kooshball.kcomputing.com/contra/genescontras.html
  Heard about on shared-weight callers list

jerom...@bellsouth.net wrote:
  Karen Fontana wrote:

9. A friend mentioned: call a dance so that it doesn't progress! Actually, I
did this once, by mistake! so I have one, should I decide to do this! ("Pigtown
Petronella" by Cary Ravitz... yes, I got a dble progression dance to not
progress at all! I can tell you how, for those that want to know!). The dancers
were laughing and smiling, and I went up to a minor set and said "what's up"? A
dancer answered "we really like our neighbors, and we're having a good time,
but we haven't progressed!"... they were laughing hysterically....

I believe I've done this same non-progression call by not having the dancers
turn to a new group of four for the second petronella spin. And Cary Ravitz was
in the band at the time -- how embarrassing.

There's a couple of fun squares as well: Nine Pin (eight people in the square
make life miserable for the ninth, then the ninth get's his/her revenge in the
B part).

There's also a square dance (if you like the patter) where number one gent
swings his corner, then his corner's partner's corner, then his corner's
partner's corner's partner's corner, and variations thereof. At one point I
believe the gent is swinging another gent, and at another point he's swinging
himself. And of course the ladies can do the same. I don't know the title of
this dance however.

And Gene Hubert's contra called The Odd Combination. Very odd.

--Jerome Grisanti