That is what I ended up doing. As soon as one dance ended, I moved over to the fiddler, showed him the card, told him what I was thinking in order to give him the maximum amount of time to work on selecting tunes. Of course calling dances like Chorus Jig makes tune selection a little easier... 8^) In the end, I didn't keep the dancers waiting much after the walkthrough.

Chris

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
One thing you could try - which would work for some fiddlers and not at all for others - is to, just as soon as the applause dies down for the last dance, hand him the card you're going to call the next dance from. (Or, as someone else suggested, start discussing the character of the tune you want.) Then the band can work on tune choices even before you start teaching.