Greg makes a very important point here. The 'elitism'
factor really never occurred to me when asking this
question; it really came out of surprised curiosity. Like
many of us, I'm just interested in weird phenomena. There
aren't that  many Ph.Ds/MDs/JDs etc. in the country, and
it's wild to see how many wind up calling too.

My dad was a brilliant square dance caller, and he had a
junior-high education. I'm the first one in my family to
even get through high school; the relatives were worried
that "that much education might ruin yer girl."  And I
could not agree with Greg more. As a college teacher,
artist-in-residence with kids, and outdoor leader alike,
I've noticed that the best teaching is really a form of
servant leadership or midwife education rather than egoic
performance; that is, the 'guide on the side', not the
'sage on the stage.' This is, of course, exactly Greg's
point about good calling.

One of the reasons I find calling so compelling is the
challenge of making sure everyone - band, dancers, sound
person, dance manager - all are having a good time, feeling
confident, appreciated, and in sync; all the while not
screwing any of it up myself. (As a newish caller, that
last bit is the tricky part.) Callers have to focus
effectively on many parts at the same time to create one
cohesive, joyful whole -- talk about a humbling meditation
practice!

If I offended anyone inadvertently, please take this as a
sincere apology. The question comes out of curiosity, not
snobbishness.

Tina

Message: 3