t...@hands4.com wrote:
Hello, calling friends...

This is an invitation to meet the legendary square dance
caller Rickey Holden, who is making one of his rare trips
to the States.

Rickey started square and contra dancing in Vermont in the
1930s. He attended Ralph Page's Boston dances while
studying (along with Ted Sannella) at Tufts University. He
became one of the first full-time callers in the nationwide
square dance boom, acting as a consultant for the San
Antonio, TX Recreation Department and eventually traveling
around the world teaching squares, contras, and
international folk dances.

Some of you may recognize Rickey's name from his books _The
Square Dance Caller_ and _The Contra Dance Book_. In the
1950s he edited _American Squares_, a national magazine; in
my opinion Rickey's tenure was the high point of _AS_'s
long history.

In 1967 Rickey moved to Brussels, Belgium and founded
Folkraft-Europe, which produces recordings and organizes
seminars on folk dancing. However, he still claims square
and contra dance as his first love, and this visit provides
a rare opportunity to meet and learn from him.

On Friday, September 26, Rickey will be my guest - and do
some calling - at the first of my Fourth Friday square
dances in Belmont, Mass. The dance runs from 8 to 11 p.m.
at Payson Park Church, 365 Belmont Street. Admission is $8
($5 for students under 21).

On Saturday morning, September 27, Rickey has agreed to
meet with local callers and "talk shop." The format is yet
to be determined. It could be (1) a potluck brunch, with
Rickey sharing his story followed by Q&A / bull session, or
(2) a workshop, with actual music and dancing, or (3) both.

Please let me know ASAP if you'd like to attend such a
gathering, as the number of "yes" replies will affect the
type of space I need to reserve. In addition to a
contribution of food (if we go through with the potluck
idea), I suggest $10 toward Rickey's travel expenses ($20
if we end up hiring a hall). Your comments and suggestions
are welcome and valued.

Feel free to pass this invitation along; I'm sure I've
missed a few people.

Tony Parkes