As a new caller, I¹m looking for advise and/or suggestions for events with a
very small number of dancers, 3-6 couples. At a dance I called in August
(granted a slow month) we had at most five couples and that was if I and a
couple of people who came to play music danced. I threw away my carefully
planned program and wound up doing a number of triplets (thank you David
Smukler) and a four-on-four that I modified so that it stayed together as a
set and resulted in a change of partners each time through. It was a little
clunky but it mostly worked and gave us some variety.

I am of course trying to avoid the scenario of people spending half the
dance as neutrals when there only four couples in a set, and I¹m not really
ready to take on learning some squares in the next few days which would be
the obvious choice. I am hopeful that there will be more people this time,
but in case I¹m in the same situation again, I¹m studying more triplets, a
couple of dbl-progression dances for 4+ couple sets (so that no one waits
out at the end for long) and looking for other ideas.

Levi Jackson Rag is a possibility, but I¹d still like to have some other
options in my pocket. It did occur to me to suggest an extra couples dance
or two just to break things up if we¹re doing lots of short dances with 3-5
couples.

Thanks,

Will Loving