Okay, so I just got in from a 4-hour drive from Wichita Falls, Texas, where I
called a wedding rehearsal dance - wedding is at 6:46 a.m. this morning.  Dance
was in an open barn with ceiling fans, but a nice breeze blowing through the
building - concrete floor - barbeque, beer & bourbon.  Dance was supposed to be
from 8:00-9:00 - we didn't start till 9:00 and danced till 10:00 since
everybody has to get up so darn early in the morning.  About 9:30, the mosquito
attack began - looked like a German clapping dance on the floor...

The groom was bound and determined we have a "contra" dance (for only an hour).
 I (gently) protested, assuring him a "barn" dance would go over much better -
2 families, a bunch of strange friends might have trouble with swings - the
embracing a stranger thing, you know.  He assured me, "Yes, there will be at
least 10 contra dancers there."  There were only 4 - and there were about 30-40
dancing.  So, I started with Moon & Stars Circle - didn't bother explaining how
to swing because the groom assured me...

Swings ended up mostly being elbows.  That told me something...

So, I did Newlywed Lane.  That worked just fine.  Lots of laughing, clapping.
Fancy Free Flirting circle waltz worked, too.

Contra dance?  Well, I've never had a failure with the one I chose, but no one
was paying attention by that dance (maybe the mosquitos had something to do
with it).  I used my own "La Ba Contra" (a knock-off of La Bastringue - easy,
huh? - changed the chains to F&B 2x to make it even easier.  Somehow, we made
it though the dance - even though I told them they could rest on the ends if no
one to dance with - they didn't hear me say that, so when they got to the end,
they raced to the other end with their partner to dance with the couple
"resting on the other end"...

Ended with a free waltz and Cotton-eyed Joe - which none of them knew how to do
the old version or the modern version.

Got a good paycheck, though...

Looking forward...

Linda S. Mrosko
7302 CR 2829
Mabank, Texas 75156
(903) 451-5535 (H)
(903) 288-4401 (cell)
lmro...@hotmail.com
www.towerwebsites.com/dancinglinda
http://www.facebook.com/lmrosko

"We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once."
                                  -- Friedrich Nietzsche