Mark Widmer

From: Mark Hillegonds <mark.hillego...@gmail.com>

Hi all,

I called this dance on Saturday night and offer the following comments.
Overall, the dance flowed nicely and got good reviews from the dancers.

A1:  There aren't quite enough moves for the music, especially as the circle
3/4 already has momentum going from the previous circle 3/8.  As a result...

A2:  ...the partner swing started 2-3 beats early making for a very long
swing.  Several dancers suggested making the A2 a balance and swing.
B1:  No problems / comments

B2:  Had a little trouble in the walkthrough getting the women to orient
themselves after the almd L 1/2.  Part of it was me not using the correct
words and part of it was the slightly different feel of the diamond, so
there was no "muscle memory" as to where to face to make the diamond.  I
found that asking the women who left allemanded each other to turn to face
each other coming out the allemand worked nicely.  I also found that when I
started stressing that the diamond was with new neighbors (the progression)
that the dancers were more comfortable knowing they were in the right
place.  You will also have to keep reminding the gents to move right while
the ladies are having their fun.  Having said that about the teaching, once
the dancers understood the move, it was a very satisfying moment to come out
of the allemendes and being away from one's partner and have everyone
reappear in the diamond.  If you're teaching this to newer dancers, the
diamond will need some explaining.

Lots of nice comments from the dancers.  I asked the band to start with a
jig and move to a reel.  The reel kicked a bunch of energy into the second
half of the dance.

Hope this helps.