Hi all,

As a dancer with a wide range of musical tastes, I enjoy dancing to a wide
variety of music. As a few of the respondents said, as long as there is
clear phrasing and an appropriate, steady tempo, I'm happy contra dancing to
just about anything.  I actually prefer really interesting music instead of
the same tune played the same way at the same volume for the entire dance.

As a musician who plays for contra dances, I also enjoy playing a wide
variety of music.  My band ranges from celtic to classical to old-timey to
Eastern European to jazz and blues and swing.  We tend to stray quite far
from the original melody.  Having said that, as three of the members of the
band are also callers and dancers, we are extremely aware that we need to
clearly define the 8 bar and A1, A2, B1, B2 phrases for the dancers.  On the
occasion that we get feedback from dancers that they had to count during one
of our tunes, we assume responsibility for adjusting our playing such that
we restore any missing structure to our tunes.

On the other hand, we've had many dancers say they sometimes forget to
concentrate on dancing because they so enjoy the music we're playing.  Even
though it's a compliment, we try to reserve those moments for our concert
performances and not in dances.  People come to a dance to dance and not
listen to us give a concert.

Great conversation.

Mark Hillegonds
Phone:   734-747-7148