As Dave's fellow board member at BIDA, I thought it would be good to note that this is a relatively new policy for us. After just three months, though, we have gone from 2-6 new people at the introductory workshop on average to 20 people at our April dance.

I think that people are more likely to return if they are recruited by friends than if they find the dance through random advertising. People come for the music and dance, but they stay in the community to be with their friends.

Chris Weiler
Goffstown, NH

P.S. More info about BIDA: http://www.BIDAdance.org/

Dave Casserly wrote:

One thing that has worked for our dances is giving free admission to any
experienced dancer who brings a newcomer to the introductory lesson (and all
newcomers get in free at the intro lesson).
-Dave