A few months ago I danced a long medley, perhaps 30-45 minutes, where the "rules" were somewhat different. There was only one caller (Diane Silvers), but two bands switched off. We had three major sets going. The guidance at the beginning was that when a couple popped out at the end of the set we had the option of sitting out a few times through then rejoining, and we were encouraged to find new partners before coming back in.