Mac asked about how other callerrs incorporate other formations into their
programs.

I call English (for 25+ years), barn dances, historical-themed (Regency/Early
American, Civil War, Dickens) and contra (for the last five or so years, but
only a few times a year).

My answers are different for each kind of thing.

For English, I typically call more duple minor (usually proper) than anything
else, but try to mix it up with small-set dances (two-couple set, three-couple
set, squares) and a triple minor or two in an evening.  Since tunes go with
particular dances, I also consider variety in mood, key, meter, and tempo when
I'm making up the program.  (I'll also use what I know about the musicians I
have that night and try to keep away from notey reels for a fiddler with
tendinitis, bias toward Bb tunes if I have a cello player, etc.)

For barn dances, anything goes.  Sicilians, threesome Sicilians, big circles,
grand march, circle mixer, whatever.

For historically-themed, it depends somewhat on what I can justify
historically,  so Regency has lots of longways duples and some triples, mixed
with an occasional three-couple set (adapted from a triple minor, like
Fandango, Prince William, etc), interspersed with waltzes.

For Civil War / Victorian, Sicilians, threesome Sicilians, whole sets  in
longways formation (Gothic Dance, Virginia Reel/Roger de Coverley), mixed up
with waltzes, polkas, schottisches and galops.

Around here (SF Bay Area) if you do a whole evening of duple-minor improper
contras at a contra dance, nobody complains about it.  Some callers like to
include a square or two in an evening.  A noticeable number of people will sit
down if they realize it's a square.  (As a dancer, I've had a partner bail on
me when she realized it was a square.)  That doesn't happen as much at local
weekend or week-long camps, but at regular dances with local callers, 10% or
more of the people who'd be up for a contra sit down for a square.  I'm not the
miracle square dance caller who's going to change their minds about it, either,
so I don't program squares.

When I first started calling contras here, my ten-dance program might have a
circle mixer in slot three and a triplet sometime after the break.  I've had
complaints relayed to me about calling 'gimmicky' dances, and I wasn't getting
great response from the triplets, so I've dropped those.  I want to get invited
back to call again, and I don't need to change everybody's mind about what a
good time is.

My most recent program (a very successful outing in Monterey last month) had a
circle mixer in slot three (setting the ground for the poussette figure I used
in "Joyride" later) and a four-face-four right after the break, and I got
positive response to both of those.  (The music was great; if it weren't I
could have had the best program in the world and it wouldn't have been a
wonderful evening.)

-- Alan

 Alan Winston --- wins...@ssrl.slac.stanford.edu
 Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL   Phone:  650/926-3056
 Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA   94025