John Sweeny wrote:

> What is a contra dance?...I guess most Americans who have only been to a
> limited number of clubs
> would expect all (most of?) the dances to be:...

Actually I, personally, have never been to any contra dance club.  Almost
all of the events I have ever attended here in the United States have been
open public dances with live music where first-timers are encouraged to
attend without separate training of any kind.  Most of the dances during a
typical evening will be contras.  Other formations are often explored, but
the open public nature of the event seems to favor simple contras where
first-timers can be quickly and effectively integrated into the dance.

The other type of "contra dances" we have here are special events, camps,
and festivals designed for contra dance enthusiasts and social dance
enthusiasts.  While open to anyone these events are promoted and positioned
in a way that effectively assures that few, if any, non-enthusiasts or
first-timers attend.  These events explore more non-contra formations.

We also have "barn dances" which--oddly enough--are seldom held in actual
"barns," but have adopted that name.  Squares and other formations are
fairly common at events sporting this name as well as contras.  These are
open to the public and they usually have live music.

There are a pretty wide variety of "contra dance" venues.  Some using that
name are more similar to the "barn dances" described above.  There seems to
be an effort afoot to keep the "contra dance" name open for those kinds of
gatherings--thus resisting a modern trend to limit the formations.  All of
the events above explore other formations and other dance forms to some
degree.

That's the way I see our local scene.  The survey cited was done at open
public contra dances that focus on contras as a way to sweep in
first-timers.  These are some of the most popular dance events in the area
and are thus able to support live music at every dance evening.

Please feel free to "correct" this interpretation with your own perception.

- Greg McKenzie