In a recent post I defined a contra dance as:
- longways for as many as will
- first couples Improper, or Becket formation
- flowing choreography
- no-one stationary for more than 16 beats (e.g. First Couple Balance &
Swing, finish facing down to make Lines of Four)
- containing at least one swing
- 95% of the moves to be from a set of well-know moves that they know
already

Is that what most Americans understand by a "contra dance"?

I asked:
Are you allowed to do Proper dances at a "contra dance"?  Or a
four-couple dance that has all the other characteristics listed above?
Or a Sicilian Circle (space allowing)?
But got no answer.

Taking it a step further - this is a popular dance over here in the UK:

Childgrove (Playford 1701)
A1:       Partner Siding; Partner Dosido
A2:       Neighbour Siding; Neighbour Dosido
B1:       Neighbour Two-Hand Turn 1 & 1/2 (skip step)
            Partner Two-Hand Turn
B2:       #1s Full Figure Eight up through the #2s (who can cast to turn
it into a double-figure-eight if they like) (skip step)

It has all the characteristics defined above apart from the swing being
replaced by a skipped two-hand turn.  And of course the moves may not be
all familiar to contra dancers.  If I called that at an American contra
dance, to great music from a live band, what reaction would I get?

            Thanks. Just trying to understand. :-)

            Happy dancing,
                        John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 &