As a dancer, I prefer to put my left hand over my partner's shoulder.
Definitely it helps us to share weight. It also depends on what dance
style it is that you are swinging in and what the next move is after
swinging - flowing into the next move is desirable. Also, I have a
better chance at maintaining distance between myself and my partner if
I wish.
Cheers,
Aylwen Gardiner-Garden