Hi all,
I have 3 questions about best mic use when teaching and calling at a public
contra dance:
1.      What is the proper distance to the mic?  I have been told that
several inches is best, and I have seen one caller who is always clear
measure that distance by placing her fist, with thumb and  pinky extended,
between her mouth and the mic. I have also seen other highly respected
callers rest it on their chin.  What are your feelings?
2.      I have been taught to speak down the axis of the mic and not hold it
like an ice cream cone, yet many prominent callers do not seem to do this.
How important do you think that this is?
3.      I have a good wireless mic (a Sennheiser Evolution G3), which I like
to put on its stand when I can. When I scan the room, sometimes turning my
head from side to side, how important is it to move the mic so I do not
change the angel between me and the axis of the mic?
Thank you, Rickey Holt, caller, Fremont, NH