David, thanks in particular for your comments. Mixers can indeed be
interesting, and just like contras and squares, I know there is a variety
within the genre that provides opportunity to select one that is optimal for
the specific mix of experience levels present, as well as the intangible "mood"
of the group.

Here's another thought that just occurred to me: At least around here in the
mid-Atlantic, callers typically do not learn anything about mixers (why? when?
which one?) in callers workshops. If anything, we pick them up as we go along
especially if we do weddings and such. This clearly is a regional difference.

Another potential difficulty which could come up here is the built-in downside
to circle type dances: you need more than 10-12 dancers, but not too many
because the circle does not use space efficiently. Our hall is about 30' x 50'
including chairs lining the walls. The circle formation creates dead space in
the center, and we don't have the room for multiple circles.

We had our dance last night, and our guest caller did call a circle mixer. It
was a well attended night. With the folks present the circle was right at the
edge of discomfort. Only 4-6 more people in the circle would have made it next
to impossible. I saw a fair number of people sitting out, and I don't know if
their thinking was "it's just a mixer so I'll rest this one" or perhaps "it's
already too crowded."

The rest of the night, the two contra sets accommodated all present with room
to spare. I'm thinking this dance space may be only marginally suited to
circles, and when I call there on 3/30 I'll most likely opt for a scatter
instead unless the attendance is lighter.

Thank you all for your input. I'm aiming to make the mixer in my program as
pleasant as possible.

Brian Hamshar