Mac,  Thanks for your great response.

I'm afraid that most of those replying on this list have missed the point
entirely.  This is not about callers who "dislike mixers."  It's about
empowering regular dancers to partner with newcomers.

At open, public contra dances, I put considerable energy into integrating
the hall during the first half of the evening.  My unspoken contract with
the regulars is that I will make it fun and easy to partner with
first-timers.  This, consequently, often makes regulars partnered together
feel "left out" of the fun.

I also make it clear that all of the first-timers should be partnered with
regular dancers.  (I do this without words by "leading through
assumption."  This saves much time and many words while making it crystal
clear that the regulars have a vital role to play in partnering with, and
helping to integrate, all of the newcomers into the hall.)

Using this approach, it would be a violation of my contract with the
regulars if I were to "spring" an unannounced mixer on them after they have
put out the effort to partner with a first-timer.  This would send mixed
signals and I would risk losing the support of some of the most helpful and
cooperative regular dancers.

The point is to empower the regulars with information so that they can help
you to integrate the first-timers.

- Greg McKenzie