Don Perley (Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:48) wrote:

> That brings up the question of what is a Becket?  In my mind defining
> element, besides the starting position, is the couples  progressing
> along the side of the set, and around the end without having to switch
> places while waiting out.

The number one reason for calling any dance a Becket is the starting
position. Having a name for it tells the dancers how to form the set.

> This one appears to be a conventional duple improper dance, except
> with the A and B parts switched so couples happen to be on the same
> side as starting position.  That is, progression happens at start of B
> with partners on opposite sides of the set.

No matter how or when the progression is done (Herbie Gaudreau's
"Becket Reel", which was the first, used a diagonal right and left
through in the B1), the *result* of the progression is that each time
the dance starts, they have progressed along the side of the set. From
early on the progression has been achieved in a variety of ways and in
a variety of sections in the dance.

It is useful (to dance composers and in programming an evening) to
understand that what's often the reason for writing a dance as a
Becket is *so that there's a partner swing as the last move*. A duple
improper can't have a partner swing as the last move.

This is not always the case, of course. Becket Reel ended with star
left and right. The novelty in the Becket Reel, I believe was using
the diagonal move for progression. It has also been published under
the name "Bucksaw Reel".

~ Becky Nankivell
Tucson, Ariz. & Long Beach, Calif.