At least one dance that I attend does a couples dance at the beginning for
just that reason. It gets the music started. It gets people warmed up, even
if there's only one couple ready to dance. And it lets people outside know
that the dance has started. It's usually (always?) a polka as the first
dance at the Nelson Monday night dance, at least for the past few years.