Ron T Blechner <contra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been finding circle mixers extremely valuable for dances with newer
> dancers. They provide a way both to expose them to many different
> experienced dancers as well as to make them comfortable with the idea of
> dancing with different people all night. (We've all seen The Couple That
> Shows Up And Dances Just With Each Other that doesn't come back because
> they don't really meet anyone ...)

 With the address of "contraron" I'm going to assume that you are talking
about a regularly scheduled contra dance series that is open to the
public.  (I really appreciate when posters make the context of their post
clear.  There are a lot of different kinds of callers on this list and what
works in one setting may be inappropriate in another.  We need to know what
we are talking about to have a useful discussion.)

Circle mixers can certainly play a role at open, public contra dances but
your comment seems to make some assumptions about the dancers and the local
dance culture.  Are you using any strategies or techniques--other than
mixers--to integrate first-timers into the hall?

Your comment assumes that at least some of the newcomers will not be aware
of the tradition of switching partners after each dance and that the
regulars will not take any action to proactively integrate these folks.
When I call at public contra dances I always follow each dance with the
instruction: "Please find a new partner and form ___ contra dance lines."

I use the optional newcomers orientation, explicit instructions, careful
programming, clear and precise calling, as well as many implied messages to
make it clear that integration of first-timers is not only essential but
also fun.  Very rarely I will see a couple of first-timers dancing
exclusively with each other.  But this occurs only after they have ignored
multiple explicit and implied instructions and have fended off several
attempts by regulars to partner with them.  In that case I will intervene
myself, personally, on the dance floor, approach the couple, and explain
the nature of our dance event.  That has always had the desired effect.

Integration of newcomers is at the heart of these open, public social
events.  I do use mixers occasionally, but tend to reserve them for other
types of events.  If I do use a mixer at an open, public contra dance I
take care to announce it well in advance.  I do this because an unexpected
mixer will derail the efforts of regulars to partner with first-timers.  I
want to encourage the integration efforts of the regulars so I warn them of
an upcoming mixer to facilitate their cooperation.

Mixers do have a place but I see them as part of an overall integration
strategy.

- Greg McKenzie