I think we need to have more respect for our dancers. If any dancer were to
show disrespect or rudeness to any person of color who was a dancer where I
call, and I knew that that rudeness was because they were a person of color,
I would want to find ways to address this. And I do not feel in any way that
any person, gay or straight or of any other group deserves less. But I
cannot look into the hearts and minds of the dancers to know what they feel.
If a man should feel awkward dancing with another man, or a woman with a
woman, I would be disappointed. The only real way to hope to know what
another person is feeling however is to ask them, but to do so in a way that
is real is no easy matter.  Unless the behavior is very blatant and
oppressive I would ask you to simply move on.  It is not simply that someone
might fear you, but that they might have the power in a group to enforce
their distaste, and that, as long as we are inclusive will not happen often
at a contra dance.  Our hope at a dance is to become more tolerant people,
and that for the most part is what I have seen at dances for thirty or more
years.  Our real troubles, as far as I can see are not, for the most part
with each other, but with the world outside. It seems to me that folks who
are comfortable with each other, regardless of gender, or color or so many
other hateful divisions, it seems to me that the these tolerant people have
a great deal of support at the dances I attend.  I call one dance: Fisher's
Jig, by Tom Hinds, in which the men swing men or the women swing women.  At
one dance a while ago all four dancers, both men and both women, formed a
basket.  I liked that so much I have called it that way since.  The feeling
of everyone enjoying everyone else was grand.
Rickey Holt
Fremont, NH