Aside from "partner" and "neighbor," "balance" may be the most frequently
used word in calling, and experienced dancers and callers alike tend to
forget  that beginners do not automatically know what it is. I teach it at the
very top of the lesson, particularly because it's used to launch other
moves -- balance and swing, balance the ring and....  I describe it as  a
step-forward+tap and step-backward+tap, and emphasize that the  convention is
shift your weight forward onto the right foot first  (many beginners will
start with the left foot), and then shift it onto the left  foot, because the
next move is frequently to the right, but that either is  acceptable.

April Blum