John Bealle , (of Cincinnati for the last several years), wrote his dissertation in Ethnomusicology about the Bloomington Old Time Music and Dance community of which he was a part at that time.

Bealle, John. "American Folklore Revival: A Study of an Old-Time Music and Dance Community." Ph.D. Dissertation. Indiana University, 1988.

Susan

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Kaufman
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 4:47 PM
To: Caller's discussion list
Subject: Re: [Callers] Contra Academia?

I wrote about variation in how people do various figures in different
places for my undergraduate linguistics thesis:
http://www.jefftk.com/final-papers/thesis/contra-thesis-1-0-0.pdf

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Maia McCormick <maia....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey all,

This might be a really silly question, but has there been much (er, any)
academic work done on contra/contra culture, from a sort of
anthropology/sociology perspective? If it exists, please point me towards
it, I'd love to  read it! And if it doesn't... I may have to remedy this!

Peace,
Maia