When teaching beginners, I try to sprinkle in a few moments on style vs.
substance. I'll point out an example or two such as do-si-do spins,
courtesy turn twirls, etc. My teaching points are:

- You'll see some people doing these embellishments to the basic moves, but
they are not required (nor forbidden). They are style.
- As a beginner you should focus on the substance for now. Just be in the
right place at the right time.
- As you gain experience you will develop a sense for when the stylish
moves will fit into the dance.
- You can communicate withother to make it clear whether you wish to
indulge in twirls etc. Saying this also serves as a reminder to the old
hands present, that they need to be mindful of their dancing partners'
needs.

If I think it's warranted during the course of the evening, I might also
say something like, "This is a busy passage, you might not have time for
twirls." This is as often for overenthusiastic old hands as it is for the
newbies.

- joseph