Michael wrote:
> Personally, if there is a significant number of new dancers,  I try to
> avoid using technical terms for figures until I have taught them.  I
> know that 'advanced' dancers hate this.

Yes.  The regulars hate being excluded from the process of leading
newcomers...and for good reason.  How can they help you teach the
dance if you don't give them the information first?

The real question is: Do you want the regulars to partner with
newcomers and show them the moves?  If not then you are correct.  If
you tip them off they will surely show the figure long before you can
verbally teach it.

If you really enjoy teaching then this is the way to go.

I want the regulars to help integrate the newcomers into the hall and
"sweep them in" to the dance with rousing live music, so I try to give
them that role from the start.

I do teach a few style points every evening.  But I never teach the
basic figures.

This is just another approach.

- Greg
West Coast, USA