Erik said (re stars), "Many people call this the "wrist grip" form.  I
encourage us all to remove the word "grip" from out teaching lexicon, as
gripping has led to griping, and that (IMHO) horrid no-thumb
allemande...  The connection is through hooks and surfaces to lean on,
not through gripping.  And, although I don't like the no thumb
allemande, when I teach this form of star, I encourage all five fingers,
thumb included, going over the top of the wrist in front - no grip."

Stars: I agree entirely.  "Wrist Lock", "Box", etc are MUCH better
terms.

Allemandes: Sorry.  Why do you want someone gripping your thumb with
theirs? I like to be able to spin out of Allemandes, and spin easily in
Rory O'Mores without having to worry about getting someone to let go of
me first.

Many people grip too tightly when they use their thumb, whether it is a
circle, a line, an allemande, a box the gnat or anything else. Painful
and awkward!

I firmly believe that thumbs should not be used, ever, for anything in
dancing! :-)

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362