Thank you John, Barb, and Bree for your ideas.  These are all helpful and I
would love to hear more thoughts on words used at dances.

I try to remember that the first option is always to say nothing at all.
Instead of telling them about an upcoming instruction just give them the
prompt.  Assume they are listening.

Barb wrote:

> I have also said 'this is tricky' to get the attention of experienced
> dancers who talk during the walk through.

There are different ways to gain and hold attention.  I know that some
callers talk a lot to hold attention.  Some repeat instructions several
times.  Others say the same thing three different ways.  My approach is to
talk as little as possible.  Other than prompts the only other words I use
are short one or two word phrases like: "Good!", "Yes!", "Nice!",
"Excellent!", "Very good!"

- Greg McKenzie