On 8/13/2013 11:06 PM, Greg McKenzie wrote:
Jacqui,

I think you are on the right track.  Earning and holding the attention of
the hall is a key skill that many callers struggle with.  A contra dance is
a complex ritual where the caller takes control of the audio space in the
room and moves the locus of attention to their voice for defined periods of
time.  Managing these transitions is a vital communication skill for
callers.  Here is how I work to earn and hold the attention of the hall.

2.  I recognize that dancers come to socialize and that talking is a core
reason they come to the dance.  It the room is buzzing with exciting
chatter I take this as a sign that the band and I are doing our job well.

This one is more important than I thought when I was first starting to call. It's really ok to give the room a moment or three to chat as the lines are forming. As Greg mentions, you'll generally notice a moment when you can step in smoothly at the mic.

Kalia