On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:50:39 -0700, Kalia Kliban wrote:
> My question is for the other callers who call a lot, especially if
> you travel to do it.  What sorts of things to you do to take care
> of yourself when your schedule is really intense?  How do you keep
> your calling fresh, and your attitude good?  Do you have any
> personal routines that help you focus?

I was calling at Whitby Folk Week in August (4 evening dances and 7
workshops) then drove for four hours to get to Southam in time for a
long weekend there (2 evening dances and 4 workshops).  I was
exhausted before I got there!  But the adrenaline kicks in and I
believe I still did a good job.  Taking care of myself - I sleep when
I can!  I sometimes lie down at the back of the stage between an
afternoon workshop and an evening dance.  I didn't do much dancing at
Southam because I knew my first priority was the calling.  As for
keeping the calling fresh and my attitude good, it may be partly that
I have a large repertoire and therefore no chance to get bored!  I
only repeated three of the Whitby dances at Southam, and one session
title ("Squares and Contras to make you think").  I don't have any
routine to help me focus, but the focus is certainly there - I'm not
thinking of anything else while I'm calling.  People ask me to
announce things and I say "Yes, I'm perfectly willing to, but I won't
remember - come up and remind me".  I even forget to try and sell my
own CDs.

The other thing that keeps my attitude good (or so I hope - you'd
better ask the dancers) is that I really enjoy calling, particularly
getting people through difficult dances and getting them to dance
better, but also the banter between me, the band and the dancers.
I see myself as an entertainer, not just a teacher, and I believe that
comes across as part of my attitude - I want people to enjoy their
dancing.

> There's a local square dance caller who does something like 320
> gigs a year.  I need to ask him sometime how he does it, but he's
> always moving too fast to engage in conversation.

I imagine he's a full-time professional, and that's a different world.
I would hate to feel that I had to take all those gigs just to pay the
mortgage!

Colin Hume

Email co...@colinhume.com      Web site http://www.colinhume.com