Good morning Erik and all:

here's the "original" *Weeks on the Road"

The folk process version starts at A2. Often the "balance in a ring" is omitted
in B2, probably because folks don't listen to the walkthrough and just balance
and swing partner and that's what callers write down.. I don't know, I really
like balancing in a ring after the twirl..

bill

WEEKS ON THE ROAD
A Becket(*) formation contra by Bill Olson. Single Progression to left

A1 Balance in a ring and swing partner (face across and to left) (16)
A2 Ladies chain on Left diagonal (8) 1/2 hey for four across (with new couple)
(8)
B1 Balance and swing (the one you chained to) (face across) (16)
B2 Circle L 3/4 (8) Balance the ring (4) Calif. twirl (4)

Notes: This is one of those "leave your partner, build up anxiety and finally
be reunited with your partner" dances. I had never seen this done in the Becket
formation where you California twirled at the end to finally meet your partner.
I like the circle balance to partner swing. The hey across in A2 must be done
with big loops, especially the man starting out or he will arrive early for the
balance and swing. This will get compensated for as the dance progresses. This
swing is with the NEXT neighbor, not a shadow, however the shadow person does
show up each time in the hey and the circle L. As usual the couple waiting out
counts as a couple on the left diagonal and the woman waiting out will chain
away from her partner. This couple waiting out (with "new" woman) should square
off at the end of the set after the chain to await the California twirl. I
often have the band play an extra B part at the end of the final time through
and call a final partner balance and swing. This dance was written "on the
road" on the way to a Freeport dance Jan 11, 1997. This was a couple days after
Pam Weeks had returned from a recording trip out in NY state and had spent some
time (not weeks though) on the road. In the dance the women go away but
eventually come back home...

*Gene Hubert pointed out to me that this is actually a "Backwards Becket"
dance. That is to say each time the dance sequence starts, partners are on the
side with men to the womens' right! Gene also pointed out that it doesn't
really matter 'cause after the swing partners are in true Becket formation. But
for the purist, it's Backwards Becket, line up improper and just have the women
switch places to start.