On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Dave Casserly
<david.j.casse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not think Dan is correct that dance choreography is not copyrightable.
>  Dan, I don't know where you got that information, but nothing I know about
> copyright law gives me that impression.  I guess you could argue that
> contra dances are not sufficiently "original," but the standard for
> originality is so low in copyright law that I don't think that would be a
> winning argument, or even close to it.

I read more about this, and it looks like a social dance might not
qualify as a "dramatic work".

    On the other hand, if your dance is not a “dramatic work” because it
    is not a choreographic show, does not tell a story or is not part of a
    dramatic performance, it is not protected.
      --
http://www.copyright.org.au/admin/cms-acc1/_images/15356429875239252b8737e.pdf

They conclude "In our view, it is unlikely that social dances will be
protected by copyright."

I wrote a blog post: http://www.jefftk.com/p/can-you-copyright-a-contra-dance