My first experience as a caller was in January of 1981. I was teaching
music at a psychiatric hospital and decided to add a bit of dancing to my
teaching. I spent one night a week teaching on a ward for the hearing impaired.
We
placed the speakers facing the floor to help the sound be felt. Each
student had one of our teaching assistants as a partner. This combination of
transmitting the vibrations and having a partner who could hear worked very
well.
I've since found that using a demonstration set also helps those with
handicaps to understand the movements.

John B. Freeman, SFTPOCTJ