by far, the best thing i ever learned to do was to engage the couple (or party
organizers, or somebody who is known to the crowd) in the programming.  if the
bride gets up and says "let's dance!", people will.

if they want to do something else (and they might!), ask them to designate some
energetic types to help you round up people.

best accidental thing i ever did - an afternoon reception with food and drink
outside.  when the bride was ready, some of the musicians (those with portable
instruments) walked through the crowd, playing.  people followed them back into
the hall, just like the pied piper!

don't be afraid to make things up as you go - just stay calm and go ahead and
do your job :-)   i know that a lot of stuff i call at family dances and
parties comes to me on the fly, and so i just do it.

and i don't think of these gigs as "dances" - so i don't feel constrained to do
"dances", per se.  esp at family dances, i'm likely to ask the kids what they'd
like to do - it's okay with me if they just wanna gallop around in time to the
music for awhile.

good luck to you!

barb