Sue --

I've called many (dozens and dozens) of gigs in hotels on short-pile carpets. I really prefer it to grass; there's a lot less to trip over and gopher holes are very rare. I also greatly prefer it to a too-small assembled-from-wood-squares hotel dance floor, which usually covers about 1/8 of the ballroom space available and which is dangerous because it has edges.

For dance hobbyists, this would be completely unacceptable. Buzz-step swings are difficult, there's a little torsion; it's a very slow floor, and there's no spring. But for normal people in dress shoes it's fine. (Okay, spike heels won't work, but they won't work on grass either, and at least they won't sink into the floor here.) Walking swings are fine, elbow swings are fine, waltzing at slower than Viennese speeds is fine, and anything where you pick up your feet is fine. You can do gallops, etc. That'd get wearing if you did it for three hours, but it's a wedding reception, so you're going to get through two waltzes and three set dances. Don't worry about it.

As too hints on crowded, I'm obliged by law to recommend the CDSS booklet on crowded hall dances (because I'm a contributor).

-- Alan