Bob Isaacs has written a number of them.  He calls them “Zia formation”, and
says "The term zia comes from the name of the sun symbol of the Zia tribe of
New Mexico.”   I’ve heard other origins of the term, but who knows?

Here’s some discussion on this very mailing list from 2008:

    http://www.sharedweight.net/pipermail/callers/2008-July/001634.html

and here’s a Word document Bob shared that describes the formation, some
choreographic thoughts to ponder, and several example dances:

http://www.sharedweight.net/pipermail/callers/attachments/20080727/f2581906/attachment-0001.doc

Bob called one of them, “Petronellazia”, at Contra Carnivale this past January.
 It was great fun, and seemed quite accessible to any dancer familiar with a
regular duple improper contra.  In fact, he called it as the first dance in the
session right after lunch, as people were trickling in and whose brains were,
well, a little blood-starved after eating.  People jumped into the dance in
progress and did fine.

-Eric