When calling I try to remember to call attention to the band several
times during an evening. I'll say something enthusiastically, like,
"How about this band?!" I will try to introduce them more than once by
individual names. I will even go as far as to step away from the mic
and whoop during a dance and clap at the end of dances to try to set
an example.

When sitting out, or when dancing, if the crowd is unresponsive I will
whoop. It often reminds dancers that they are dancing to live music
and that they are enjoying it.

If I am teaching a lesson I mention that it is customary to thank the
band after each dance before finding another partner. I will even
remind them to do so after the first couple of dances. Once in a while
I make a real point of it, asking people to stop and really applaud.

I think now I will also mention the positive feedback loop.

-Amy