When history shows a number of new terms introduced over the years,
and each, after a while, picks up the taint of being derogatory, you
eventually figure out that
the word itself isn't the real problem.

Using the tainted water analogy, if the person serving your water has
typhoid, asking for a new glass from the same waiter won't help much.