I’m liking calling “look-see” so much, especially with the family/community/ONS
dances that are my mainstay. It’s easy to call, emphasizes eye contact, flirty
and fun like the original move. After quickly teaching it or doing a funny
demo, everyone seems to grasp it easily. I’d love to hear others thoughts on
the pros and cons of using this. I got the idea from a discussion on the
Callers listserv several years ago.

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 11:31 AM, Martha Wild via Callers
> <callers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> I hate "right shoulder round". It has the problem of using the term right in
> it. That makes it easy for people to confuse with a right allemande or a
> right shoulder do-si-do as you are calling it. Or right and left through.
> People often hear the first syllable you say to get direction, and that
> confuses them, especially if you have other moves starting with “right” in
> them in the dance. Also, the syllables don’t stand out - shoulder has little
> oomph, round similarly. There’s little way to shorten it as you call, which I
> like to do to cut down on interrupting the music. It’s a long string of words
> for one move.  I do not use it. I use “spiral”, which a number of other
> people also use around here. I just really, really don’t like “right shoulder
> round”. I’m afraid “walk all around” has similar issues, at least for me -
> walk is used in other situations, you might have people walking individually
> around the small or large set, and be shortening that to “walk” - to me, walk
> could mean anything. Okay, it’s not always a perfect spiral, because you
> don’t always swing afterwards, but it has the virtue of people knowing what
> they are supposed to do immediately.
> Martha
>

>> On Oct 9, 2019, at 7:12 AM, Bob Hofkin via Callers
>> <callers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Walk all around" [the left-hand lady] has been the MWSD terminology, and it
>> seems adequate to me. Why create new terminology?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On 10/9/2019 9:56, Adam Carlson via Callers wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, I'm really saddened that the term "right shoulder round" has become
>>> the standard replacement for gypsy. It's about as evocative as "modified
>>> ballroom position paired rotation" is for swing and takes too long to say.

Delia Clark
PO Box 45
Taftsville, VT 05073
Office/mobile: +1-802-457-2075